Anderson Public Library
Board of Trustees
Article I – Authority
This Board of Trustees, designated as the ANDERSON COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY DISTRICT BOARD OF TRUSTEES, having been officially appointed by the County Judge Executive of Anderson County in accordance with Kentucky Revised Statute 173.725, serves as the legal body corporate through which library service may be provided in, and for the people of, Anderson County.
Article II – Purpose
The purpose of this Board is to foster and promote library service for the people of Anderson County. This shall consist of establishing, equipping and maintaining libraries and/or contracting with existing libraries for the furnishing of library service for the county and doing all things necessary to provide the best and most efficient library service.
Article III – Membership
This Board shall consist of five members. The members must have a library card and be in good standing with the library. In varying degrees the following qualities are valuable and should be represented:
Financial, legal and business experience
Understanding of county interests, needs, and problems
Knowledge of general social relations
Good relations with the public
Article IV - Appointment and Term of Membership
Members of this Board shall be appointed in accordance with the Kentucky Revised Statutes. Terms shall begin at the August Board meeting of the year of such appointment. Board members shall serve for a term of four (4) years and may serve for no more than two (2) consecutive terms. When a Member resigns or is removed prior to the end of his/term, a successor will be designated by the appointing authority. The successor shall fulfill the term of the departing Member.
Article V -Quorum
A quorum for the transaction of business shall consist of three (3) members of the board. If the quorum consists of only three members, their vote upon any official business brought before them must be unanimous.
Article VI - Voting
Each member of the Board shall be entitled to one vote on all matters brought to a vote during a regular or special meeting in which said member is present and a quorum is present at the time. No voting shall be done by proxy.
Article VII - Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities of the Board of Trustees shall be to:
1. Determine the purposes of the library and secure adequate funds for the continued operation of the library
2. Employ a competent and qualified library director
3. Determine, review and revise Library policies as necessary
4. Know the program and needs of the library in relation to the community.
5. Assist in the preparation of the annual budget
6. Work actively for the improvement of all libraries by supporting library legislation in the state and nation
7. Attend all board meetings
8. Attend regional, state, and national trustee meetings and workshops
9. Cooperate and consult with the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives in the development of library services.
10. Report regularly to governing officials and the general public.
Article VIII - Officers
The Officers of the Board shall be President, Vice-President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Officers shall be elected at the regular September meeting. All elected Officers shall serve for a term of two (2) years and are subject to re-election.
Article IX - Duties of Officers
Section 1: President
The President of the Board shall:
a. Preside at all meetings.
b. Appoint all committees.
c. Authorize calls for special meetings.
d. Generally perform the duties of a presiding officer.
Section 2: Vice-President
The Vice-President shall perform all the duties and assume all the responsibilities of the President in his/her absence at a regular or special meeting of the Board.
Section 3: Secretary
The Secretary of the Board shall:
a. Keep a true and accurate account of all proceedings of the board meetings.
b. Ensure the safekeeping of all official minutes and other official records of the Board.
c. Oversee or create all official correspondence from the Board.
Section 4: Treasurer
The Treasurer of the Board shall:
a. Have charge of the library funds and income
b. Ensure that proper financial records are kept showing receipts and disbursements of the Board.
c. Ensure that a financial report is prepared for each regular meeting of the Board.
d. Perform all the duties and assume all the responsibilities of the President in his/her absence and in the absence of the Vice-President at a regular or special meeting of the Board.
Article X - Meetings
Section 1: Regular Meetings
The regular monthly meetings of the Board shall be held on the third Tuesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. All meetings will take place at the library unless an exception is noted and posted at least 24 hours in advance.
Section 2: Special Meetings
Special meetings of the Board shall be called by the President or in his/her absence by the Vice-President. Any two members of the Board can have a call for a special meeting issued. Notification of special meetings shall be posted at the library at least twenty-four (24) hours prior to the scheduled meeting time.
Article XI – Order of Business
The regular order of business to be conducted at meetings of the Board shall include the following items:
1. Call to order
2. Public Comment (as necessary)
3. Approval of minutes
4. Treasurer's report
5. Director's Report
6. Old Business
7. New Business
8. Regional Report
Article XII - Committees
The President may appoint special committees for the study and investigation of special problems. Such committees shall serve until the work for which they were appointed is completed.
Article XIII - Fiscal Year
The fiscal year shall be from July 1st and close June 30th.
Article XIV - Duties of the Library Director
The Library Director shall be considered the Library's executive officer and shall:
1. Have complete charge of the administration of the Library according to established policy.
2. Be held responsible for:
a. The care of the building and equipment
b. The efficiency of the library's service to the public
c. The operation of the library under the financial conditions set forth in the annual budget
3. Attend all Board meetings other than the time during which his/her own salary or tenure is being discussed.
4. Draw up the agenda, in consultation with the President, for board meetings.
5. Determine and recommend needed policies for Board action.
6. Make regular reports on the progress of the Library.
Article XV - Amendments
These BYLAWS, as officially adopted, shall be amended only in accordance with the following procedure:
1. All members shall be furnished a written copy of the proposed changes and/or amendments at least one month prior to any official vote on said proposed changes and/or amendments.
2. Any changes and/or amendments to the official BYLAWS shall be discussed at an official regular meeting of the Board held in accordance with the provisions of the BYLAWS presently in effect.
3. A unanimous vote of the members present is required to adopt any proposed changes and/or amendments.